We thought you might enjoy seeing the transformation of our shop. This was a fairly extensive renovation, as we turned a small cottage into the brand new Alley Street Cutting Co. Come see the almost finished product in person and let us earn your business!
Though small in size, this building has undergone a fairly extensive renovation. It was previously used as a bed and breakfast rental unit, with a queen bed and small bathroom.
As our bed and breakfast business plan contemplates king beds only, and the space can't fit a king sized bed, we had to find another use for the space. Andy used it as his workshop and tool room for a few months, until we decided to open a shop.
We removed the faux shiplap installed by the previous owner, and began the journey!
The closet was doubled in size and reconfigured to conceal a flush mounted tv, mini-fridge and new AC/heating unit. In order to access the electrical panel and in-wall tankless water heater, we simply pull out the mini-fridge to access/service as necessary, via the open ceiling concealed by the fridge.
Andy modified an antique frame that we had from an old mirror, then used it to frame the flush mounted tv. Now, instead of sticking out 8-9", it looks like a regular picture hanging on the wall.
The framed tv took some major engineering (otherwise known as trial and error ... and swearing from time to time), but Andy finally got his "framed tv" project completed. Honestly, despite some rather colorful commentary during construction, the end product actually turned out great!
Note that Andy determined that it made sense to finish the tv project ... FIRST!
We next installed faux wood tile throughout.
After filling several hundred nail holes from the faux shiplap, and actually repairing some damage that the shiplap covered up, we added all new trim and started wallpapering.
The built-in window unit was removed and replaced with a new AC/heater. We then removed the fiberglass shower unit from the bathroom, and relocated the water lines to feed the new shampoo bowl.
Next, we installed the shampoo bowl and chair.
Final staging and clean up.
The bathroom stayed the same size, though we ended up gutting it.
There was significant mold damage, so this room was taken down to the studs. We also removed the existing fiberglass shower unit and added a storage closet in its place.
After adding beadboard wainscoting, we installed a new vanity and finished the room out with the same wallpaper as the main room.
Once charming and functional, the rock covered walkways had fallen into disrepair, making them unsafe. We excavated the area and began setting forms for new concrete to be poured. We also cleaned up the overgrown and weed invaded flower beds.
Here's some images of the new concrete going in. Andy started in the corner, mixing, pouring and forming one pad per day until the entry pathway was complete.
With Phase 1 of the new entry complete, we planted some azaleas and opened up shop!
Next up is a new parking court, patio and extended deck with a new stairway. The concrete will also be getting a custom rubber top-coating. Coming soon!